Canyons’ Cornbread Casserole
An award-winning recipe!
Have you been on a Canyons trip and absolutely loved the cornbread? Or are you lucky enough to stumble across this BLOG? Well, either way, today is your lucky day. Susan Bechdel has shared her father’s recipe with Canyons’ guests since 1985. For all of you out there that can’t resist a good cornbread, here is the recipe for the best cornbread casserole you may ever have. It won Grand Prize in the 2017 Dutch Oven cookoff in Riggins, Idaho at the Big Water Blowout, up against a lot of spectacular dishes. This is a staple on our Canyons’ menu and a must have in your recipe roll-a-dex. It is the most asked about and sought after dish that we serve on our trips. Come and experience it for yourself in the beautiful Frank Church Wilderness on the Middle Fork and the Main Salmon Rivers.
This recipe serves approx. 6-8 people.
- Marie Calendar cornbread mix—-2 bags
- Yellow Onion—-2
- Chopped Green Chilies–11 oz can
- Butter—-1/2 stick
- Creamed Corn (14.75 oz cans)—-2 cans
- Sour Cream 16oz—- 1/2 or more if you want
- Grated Cheddar Cheese—-1/2 pound
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk or water (don’t need much)
***For a dairy-free option, substitute olive oil for butter and leave out the cheese and sour cream. Or substitute goat cheese chevre for sour cream, and feta or pecorino for cheddar. All delicious options.
***For a Gluten Free option substitute Gluten Free cornbread mix and add another egg.
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Saute onions and chilies in butter.
- Mix cornbread, creamed corn, milk/H2O, and egg.
- Put sautéed onions and chilies in the bottom of the dutch oven or casserole dish (something with a lid).
- Pour the batter over top.
- Dollop sour cream around entire dish (swirl if you like or leave as fun sour cream bomb surprises).
- Top with grated cheddar cheese.
- Put the lid on and bake until cornbread is cooked through but still moist (about 45 minutes- 1 hour). Take the lid off to crisp the cheese towards the end. If you are cooking this traditional Dutch Oven style, add more coals to the top.
Are you a foodie? Check out our FOOD & WINE trip on the Main Salmon.
Similar Posts by The Author:
- Offbeat Interview Series with JP
- Offbeat Interview Series with Hattie
- Offbeat Interview Series with Jen
- Canyons ‘Capture the Magic’ contest
- Offbeat Interview Series with Tyler